Monday, March 8, 2010

OSCARS BEGIN WITH GOTHAMS

In honor of Kathryn Bigalow's historic win on Oscar night, here's a reel of her work I edited last year for the Gotham Independent Film Awards, where she received a special tribute. "The Hurt Locker" is a fine film and I couldn't be happier for her. I had the pleasure of meeting her and she struck me as a highly intelligent, refined yet humble person. Hers was the first reel I edited last year and she accepted my first cut - no revisions. That automatically made me love her immensely.

One interesting tidbit: For three years in a row, the Gothams have presented Tributes to people who have go on to win Oscars. Coincidentally, I've been with the show three years but as much as I'd like to take credit for these stars' Oscar success the credit should go to Michelle Byrd, the Executive Director of the IFP (who sadly left the organization last year) who has an uncanny gift for predicting Academy Award winners. They are:

2008 - Javier Bardem (Best Supporting Actor - "No Country For Old Men")
2009 - Penélope Cruz (Best Supporting Actress - "Vicky Cristina Barcelona")
2010 - Kathryn Bigelow (Best Director, Best Picture - "The Hurt Locker")

Enjoy.

KATHRYN BIGELOW REEL (IFP VERSION) from Mario J Diaz on Vimeo.